. Celestina Carmen: The BurdaStyle Sewing Handbook

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The BurdaStyle Sewing Handbook







I'm in the process of sewing the coat (Karin's variation) from this book. This mini review is based on this project.

Is this a good book for beginner's?

  • I'd recommend this book for a beginner who has some experience in sewing. I would not recommend this book to anyone who has no experience in sewing. There is not enough detailing in this book for someone who has never sewn before.
Is there detailed instructions and diagrams?
  • Based on the project I'm currently working on, no. There are not a lot of diagrams and the instructions are not worded to where they are easy to follow. I found myself re-reading many sections because I was lost on the wording. It was either unclear or could have been worded differently. (Example- The coat I'm working on is a sewer's variation of the original. Lots of pattern changes. One pattern piece calls for you to cut it in two, but does not give any direction to which pattern piece you will work on next. I had to re-read a few times to make a guess. Another example- The diagram showed one way, but the instructions said another.)
Would I recommend this book?
  • Definitely yes. I borrowed this book from the library. This is the most modern and stylish sewing book I've come across. I plan to go out and buy this book for my own home library. Their are 5 basic patterns ... blouse, skirt, dress, coat, and handbag. Each basic pattern has 2 additional variations. At the end of each segment there is 2 pages of other sewer's variations. It will inspire your creative side and teach you to think out side of the box. This book is very project runway and not your grandma's old patterns.
For more inspiration and to see other sewer's variations of these projects, visit BurdaStyle.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

2 comments:

Diya said...

I too own this book.And totally agree about the instructions being not very helpful. You made the coat? Can you mail me the link to it please :)

Tina said...

Diya, I haven't finished the coat yet. I made it in muslin first. But I still haven't found the fabric I want. I'm thinking of deconstructing an old coat and using it's fabric.

Related Posts with Thumbnails