. Celestina Carmen: My New Venture: Textile Designs

Friday, January 25, 2008

My New Venture: Textile Designs

I've been having so much fun with my design software and seeing my designs on paper (I'll start posting more of my stuff and hopefully get some feedback). I was thinking ... combined with my love of fabric ... I'd love to see some of my designs on rolls of fabric. I've been doing some research (there's not a lot of information on the web).

Fabric I'm looking at : bamboo, canvas, linen, hemp, cotton. Thanks to Lara of Kirin Notebook she posted a link about Pick Hemp. I've already emailed them and unfortunately they don't have any recommendations for textile printers. They are very knowledgeable when it comes to knowing which fabric will work best for the printers. Plus plus... they are based in San Francisco...about 45 minutes from me. Thanks Lara for the link.
It's so hard to find a printer that prints on yardage not just t-shirts. If anyone out there has any recommendations, please let me know. For now I'll keep on looking.


Here are some links to inspiring blogs about textile design :



  • Kirin Notebook - I've emailed Lara and she has been kind enough to take the time from her busy schedule to reply and lend a helping hand. Her designs are fabulous.

  • Ninapatina - Read about the steps she's taking to starting her own textile design business.
  • Print & Pattern -Showcases designs from very talented artists.
  • Hollabee - Checkout her designs from the beginning.
  • Naked & Angry - Submit pattern designs to be scored.
  • Sandi Henderson - She offers some great tips on what it entails.
  • Decor8- A open discussion on turning your patterns into products.
  • Veerle's Blog - She's a fabulous graphic designer. With every one of her posts, I become more skilled at graphic designing.
I'll be updating the list as I come across more textile and design blogs I read.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

there is a fabric website called jcaroline creative http://www.jcarolinecreative.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=JC&Screen=SFNTthat asked the How about Orange blogger Jessica Jones http://www.howaboutorange.blogspot.com/ design a line of fabric for them. So maybe you could ask them? Here is jcaroline's blog where it explains it better than I probably did http://jcaroline.typepad.com/

Tina said...

Thanks for the link Caroline. I'll check out the site.

Anonymous said...

Hey there! I too am inspired to do some textile designing and printing, but am stumped as to where to start. I have patterns down on paper, but I need a reliable textile program for my computer. Any ideas? Also, how did your endeavors pan out? Did you find a printer? Pick fabric? Curious minds want to know... :)

Lara said...

Ooh ooh I think I have the perfect fabric printer for you too! Try these guys:

http://www.zoo-ink.com/ZOOINK/zooink.html

They're in San Francisco also, so they should be perfect :)

reinaswan said...

Hi - You may want to check places like Lectra or Gerber software. Sometimes they have shops (stores) set up that can do digital printing. It sometimes costs alot but you can make things with your textile designs. I know when we request digital printing from Asia it can run any where from $50-$100 a yard depending on the fabic it is being printed on.

Related Posts with Thumbnails