. Celestina Carmen: On Hold With Etsy

Friday, October 10, 2008

On Hold With Etsy


I'm sad to say that I will not be opening up my Etsy shop at this time. I've been working so hard for it. There was inventory, photos, editing photos, paper work, working on the site, I even started this blog with Etsy in mind. My landlord crushed my dreams.


Where I live you need a DBA, resale license, business license, and a home occupation permit. The home occupation permit must be signed and approved by the landlord. Well, I'm a renter. She (and the property management) had me jumping through hoops. I got the insurance policy they asked for. Insurance policy? For a business that may or may not even make a sale in the first year?! In the end, after relentless nagging on my part (they don't return phone calls) ... the Home Owners Association said no. Because I have inventory. Inventory! My inventory is in a 12" x 6.5" tupperware. In my opinion, my business was so small, did she really need to run it by the HOA? I have another business (not out of home) so I didn't want to take chances without being properly licensed.

I really wanted to be a part of the Etsy world. I didn't realize how much I wanted this until I was denied. We won't be here forever. I'm a strong believer that everything happens for a reason. It's going to give me the time to finish some projects.
My projects waiting to be completed:
  • I'm finishing an apron, I started months and months ago.
  • I'm going to slowly start my first quilt. It's going to cost a small fortune for all the fabric. I'm finding out I have expensive taste in fabric.
  • I have a screen I need to reclaim and burn a new image. I wanted to do a print where I use traditional screen printing and Gocco.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

11 comments:

Tacha said...

I am so sorry. I can't believe you have to go through so many hoops there to open up an etsy store. Perhaps instead you can sell some of your inventory through your blog. I am sure you will get buyers through paypal. Do you have to go to such lengths to list something on ebay?

By the way you are not showing up on bloglines. I thought you had been quiet for a while but now I find you have been blogging but the feed is not being captured in bloglines.

Anonymous said...

what?! that's outrageous. i understand that you don't want to put your other business in jeopardy but is there a way to work around this? maybe if you print orders as you receive them so you don't have to carry inventory *wink*
maybe you can do craft shows in the meantime. your landlord is a straight up jerk.

Anonymous said...

Sorry this has happened. I had this problem with my city getting permits and all, but I moved and it has worked out now. Good for you and a positive attitude and a great chance to get your product line together.

Wendy said...

I'm so sorry Tina. I would be crushed. In the 2 cities that I've lived in since opening my shop, I just had to check a box saying I've read the home occupation regulations, but I've never had to get a permit. I'm surprised you have to jump through this many hoops. I wish they wouldn't make it so hard for small businesses. You have a great attitude about this, and I admire you for wanting to do this properly. I hope someday soon, there will be a way for you to make and sell your goods!

Mon Petit Lapin said...

Oh no thats so sad. I really didn't know you had to declare Etsy as a small business. I presumed it was like Ebay where you just sell your goods onto others and no-one knows/cares. Do you not have to reach a certain amount of income before it is called a small business? I am so surprised.

Angie said...

Oh Tina! I really hate HOA! Is there any way you can maybe rent a P O Box and not have inventory as suggested.

Also, I like the idea of selling on your blog! I see many blogs selling and love the idea.

Leslie said...

I thought I would stop by and have a read of your blog after you so nicely posted on mine!

Sorry to hear you are having trouble setting up your etsy shop. Some of the other comments have suggested some good alternative ideas. Hopefully you will work things out soon.

blogdirtsa said...

Honestly, I appreciate how careful you're being about opening your etsy shop, but I think you're going about it the wrong way. It's extremely hard to be successful with a new etsy shop (trust me) and frankly you probably won't make enough money to call it anything more than a hobby. If you started your shop and ended up selling so much that it truly took the form of a business, *then* you could deal with all this legal stuff. But the chances of that happening are slim slim slim, and selling a bag or a card here and there is not going to bring the IRS knocking at your door. Start your shop. Seriously.

blogdirtsa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
paperseed said...

Hmm. That just seems off to me. I didn't even know you needed a license. Are you sure, or just being cautious. It doesn't seem right that something like this can hold you back.

Tina said...

Etsy doesn't require a license. But you do have to follow the laws where you live. Even Etsy says to check with the laws where you live. I have another business, so I was just trying to play by the rules. They are pretty strict where I live. I applied for a resale license and they notified everyone!

Things are looking up. It might happen sooner than I know it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails