. Celestina Carmen: Designing Quilt in Illustrator

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Designing Quilt in Illustrator

My first quilt. It might take me a very long time to finish, but I have finally started!

PROGRESS ONE :: The pattern I chose was from Amy Butler's book InStitches, Decorative Patchwork Throw. To help me decide on fabric layout and choices, I turned to Illustrator.





FIRST :: Scanned pattern and placed it into Illustrator. Then I traced over it, creating a new pattern to work with.


SECOND :: To get the feel for the colors I wanted to use, I filled each quilt block with a pattern in Illustrators library (adding color of choice).


THIRD :: Downloaded images of the fabrics I wanted to use. Uploaded them into my swatches panel and filled my quilt blocks. I ended up using 4 colors (pattern required 10). Played around with the pattern placement until I found something I liked.






FOURTH :: After choosing the design I wanted to go with, I opened a new file and planned out placement and how much yardage I would need for each fabric (+ a little extra for pillows).




FIFTH :: Exported the image of my quilt into Photoshop (before exporting, save in RGB). Saved as a JPEG and uploaded into ITunes. Transferred to my IPhone ... Now I have a visual to take with me to the fabric store. Technology is grand!



AddThis Social Bookmark Button

5 comments:

Connie said...

very clever! i hope it all works out!

Angie said...

That is too cool! Wish I knew how to use those programs like that.

Do keep us updated.

Tacha said...

Wow - very organised! Can't wait to see how you get on.

Anonymous said...

You clever clever chiquita. I still remember having to wait in line every week to get cash from the bank. This takes things to a whole new level! Yahoo to using technology for good (and beautiful :) Can't wait to see the final product...

Anonymous said...

too cool for words and very organised

Related Posts with Thumbnails